Hi all.  I've been writing a prototype using Maven, and loving it.  I
want to try out the release functionality now, but whenever I do, it
complains that I'm using -SNAPSHOT versions of libraries.

Which I am.  I'm using a 2.4-SNAPSHOT of the
maven-surefire-report-plugin, and well as 2.4-collab-SNAPSHOT of the
maven-sure-plugin, because I use TestNG and attempts to use TestNG
with 2.3 fail.

So, I get the idea that releasing using SNAPSHOT versions is bad.
But, I'm having a very hard time determining when the next version
(Non-Snapshot) of my dependancies are going to be released.  If this
were something that a customer was waiting for urgently, it's not
really acceptable for me to tell them they have to wait until a
dependant library is moved out from SNAPSHOT status.

Where can I find out when the next version of a library will be
released?  Do I just have to query the mailing lists of the projects
repsonsible for the release?

Are there any other options for using snapshot versions in releases,
apart from manually modifying the pom file after a release, as
described here (see the "Gotcha" section at the end):

http://jlorenzen.blogspot.com/2007/09/how-to-create-release-using-maven2.html

Thanks for any help,
Ed