It proved to be a little troublesome to tease out the different resource types,
so I had to compromise with...

        <resources>
            <resource>
                <filtering>true</filtering>
                <excludes>
                    <exclude>**/*.gif</exclude>
                    <exclude>**/*.jpg</exclude>
                </excludes>
            </resource>
            <resource>
                <includes>
                    <include>**/*.gif</include>
                    <include>**/*.jpg</include>
                </includes>
            </resource>

And this works, but there is of course a risk with relying on the file
extensions.

Does anyone have some dependable code to sniff at the files to see if they are
text or binary?