I'm responsible for the technical architecture of many projects at my
location.  One project in particular (still in active development with
code released to production) will likely never upgrade past 2.0.4
because of the changes to dependency resolution.  Although these
changes are a good thing, problems will not show up in a build, but in
the runtime environment; the most problematic ones are class loading
issues with WebSphere, but occasionally I have had to deal with
"invalid class" errors because somehow commons-collections 2.0 made it
into the war when the project was compiled and tested against 3.2.

Anyway, I'm rambling.  The project does not want to upgrade because
we would likely need to stop all work for at least two days for a
complete system test / regression test / fix pom cycle.  After
spending many weeks overall resolving issues that were deemed to be
"maven brain damage" nobody wants the hassle.

I am having success at convincing newer projects to start out using
2.0.8; so I am wondering how to easily maintain two maven versions for
us developers on the technical architecture team -- is it as simple as
swapping out MAVEN_HOME?

Thanks

-trevor