To change the format for the dependency artifacts, add something like the
following to the dependencySet:

<outputFileNameMapping>${artifact.artifactId}.${artifact.extension}</outputFileNameMapping>

For other options to fine-tune your assembly configuration, see:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/single-mojo.html

-john