+1 for a)
with a warning like "[WARN] using detected local platform encoding 'xxx'. To
ensure build reproducibility, consider adding project.build.sourceEncoding
property to your pom"

This won't break existing builds from users that don't even know their
encoding, but will help them do the right choice: explicitely declare
encoding in their pom.

Hervé