2008/8/6 Patrick Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi Brett ---
>
> No idea what the process is at Apache .... so maybe the Tapestry project was
> at fault maybe not ... but the impact on my project was several hours of
> work. (The developers impacted did not know what to do to solve the problem
> they are not maven experts.)
>
> As you said ASF can set up any rules they want. For most of the places where
> we discovered the snapshots had disappeared - it was no big deal there was a
> more recent release -- but not everything. maven-repository-plugin and
> tapestry 4.1.6 for example.

It's not really a question of "fault" - but the issue is with whoever
told you to use the snapshot repository without adequate warning that
they might get deleted. The repository is a tool for active developers
to use, not something we publish for anyone to rely on.

> But hey rules are rules ---  and if rules are important -- then community is
> less important ....

I think we got off on the wrong foot here, I wasn't trying to be
dismissive, just realistic.

The rules are there to support the community. If you want to live on
the bleeding edge, you're welcome to use things and keep track of
what's happening so you can move over to releases when they are
available, and so on.

For us to endorse some binaries that have no vetting, no legal
protection and leave users in a potentially unreproducible build state
in the future would be highly irresponsible.

> All I am suggesting is that snapshots without a matching release not be
> deleted no matter how old they are.

I don't think there's any disagreement on this, and I'm sure
infrastructure will prefer that method in the future.

> I am sure running maven is a little like herding cats and you do need
> *guidelines* but keep in mind the community using ASF code is >> people on
> ASF developer lists.

You're certainly not going to get any argument from me on that. If
this was raised in the context of "I'm stuck an old snapshot until a
release happens, how can I help?" instead of "You deleted an ancient
snapshot nobody was paying attention to any more", it'd have obviously
been a totally different response :)

With that in mind...

> -Pat
>
> P.S. Now about  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SUREFIRE-446 ???