I'm aware ant used tasks (or targets), and maven uses goals. Will an ant
plugin in a maven buildfile use goals, though? Is it required?

If I insert a goal into an ant plugin I'm writing, after the phase and
before the configuration per usual, I receive the error "'start' was
specified in an execution, but not found in the plugin" ('start' being the
goalname of course). Where is it supposed to find the goal in the plugin?
none of the other plugin examples mention the names of the goals they use
anywhere in their content.