this is typical as the profile is not considered part of the build unless
activated.
However, it seems reasonable to adjust profile dependencies in the way you
indicated, so I'd say it's a bug you can file.

To workaround it, I suggest putting the value in a property outside the
profile so that it should be updated.

Cheers,
Brett