Thanks Justin, sounds reasonable...  there are so many phases to choose from
I guess the expanding of the package could very well be in the pre-package
phase.

@Brian..  That`s just it, when I put the assembly bits in the parent POM it
is systematically executed before anything in the children`s POM.  I
would`ve expected the opposite thereby giving children the opportunity to
complete and add to the parent`s actions.  Unless I did not get it right.

The only way I found (without resorting to other phases) was to copy the
assembly part in the children at the end of their POM.

I'll give the prior phase definition a try, no reason for it not to work,
though I am still puzzled by this behavior, could be a bug but I think the
most likely cause is something I do not get in the maven build pattern.
when you say "userbound" and "default", in the example above which is
considered default ? and which is considered user bound ?  also where on the
net can I find a bit of help regarding all this ?

I find maven really helpfull in many ways, but there is one thing I still
find very hard is to reach easy to read and usefull documentation on the
plugins, and on the many capabilities of Maven.  It is easy inough to find
trivial examples but I grew out of these quite fast.

Is there anything akin to the Javadoc system that maven plungins be
documented in ?  Is there a repository of documenatation for plugins ?

again, thanks

Éric