Maybe it's specific for MM1 with which I'm so concerned, that I often
forget about existence of other protocols ;-) However, fast google in
the morning led me to the following:

1. OMA-MMS-ENC-V1_2:

(BNF)

Subject-value = Encoded-string-value

Encoded-string-value = Text-string | Value-length Char-set Text-string

The Char-set values are registered by IANA as MIBEnum value.  UTF-8
character-set encoding SHOULD be supported in Encoded-string-value. If
the MMS Client uses UTF-8 character-set encoding, the Char-set
parameter SHOULD be used to indicate its usage.  Encoding according to
[RFC2047] MAY be supported in the MMS Client and/or MMS
Proxy-Relay. Encoding according to [RFC2047] SHOULD only be used
without "Value-length Char-set" parameters. [RFC2047] encoding for
UTF-8 character- set encoding MAY be supported in the MMS Client
and/or MMS Proxy-Relay.  Note: The usage of Unicode character-set
encoding is recommended. The supported set of actual character-sets in
the MMS Client is up to the implementation. The MMS Client must not
rely on the MMS Proxy-Relay doing any character-set transformation.

2. WAP-203-WSP:

Table 42. Character Set Assignment:

utf-8: 0x6a

3. tcpdumps (my comments is just guessing for now):

incoming to mbuni from handset with utf-8 (I hope so - polish
characters properly decoded) encoded subject:

0x96:      start of subject field
0x16 0xea: looks like encoding indication for me, doesn't match utf-8
           above, I'm not sure, why
0x20:      space ... maybe UA inserts it
0xc5 0xbb: first UTF-8 encoded character

outgoing from mbuni to handset (UTF-8 chars are badly decoded on
handset):

0x96:      start of subject field
0x7f:      don't know what's this