Just to clarify my words :

we have many different kind of users, from total brand new programmers to top notch gurus. I can't judge from mails like the initial one, but I just wanted to express the fact that we are likely to see students post mails like this, and there is nothing wrong about it at all.

If students can't build their project on top of MINA, that also mean MINA may need some "MINA in 5 minutes" documentation. Of course, this won't be a substitute for work ;)

Anyway, thanks Chris for the 'thanks' to the team !

Chris Gamble wrote:
I hate to see threads like this started -- especially when the community has done such a great job of providing a product.

My experience with MINA and its how-to library was a great and simple experience. I got up and running with a flash gaming site with 1 hour of work. I did have to do a quick search on Google to figure out the oddness of Flashes XMLSocket, but everything else was there. The only place I saw could use improvement in MINA documentation would have been for advanced features. So I could see a need for a down-n-dirty with MINA book, but I think the example and documentation provided are extremely reasonable to get started.

Please consider this a long over due thanks to the Apache MINA people for a great job.

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
Hi Daniel,

I guess that this is typically what we see frequently on ML : students have some project to work on (multi player game, for instance), they pick some cool library like MINA because it's Apache, but it soon appears that MINA (or whatever cool lib) won't become magically a multi player online game project done and running.

Sweat, long nights and week-end, books, internet, lot of coffee, this is the secret of good project. Tutorial won't replace that. Of course, MINA tutorials are totally primitive, and need to be improved, but I simply wish that those who went through them, and found them weak, to come back with some improvements and proposal for better tutorials. This is quite rare.

But be sure that if you go through the whole path successfully, we will gratefully appreciate any feedback !

At some point in the future, someone will stand up and write a "MINA for the dummies" book, or "MINA in action"...

It's up to you, guys !

Daniel Westerberg wrote:

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny