One strategy would be to synchronize the 'session' instance itself.

jan de vries wrote:
Well, it was just an example to make my point clear. My SessionState contaans a lot more then that. For the decoder you are right, but the encoder CharsetEncoder can give problems since Session.write might be called simultaneously if i understand the documentation correctly. But actually its not about the encoder or decoder, but about the other things in my SessionState class ;).
But please note that performing more than one write(Object) calls at the same time will cause the [..] is executed simnutaneously, and therefore you have to make sure the IoFilter implementations you're using are thread-safe, too.

(mmm i believe that should be simultaneously in the documentation)

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
Hi,

jan de vries wrote:
Hello,

I have a class which stores session specific data with
session.setAttribute(SessionState.STATE_KEY, ss);

But this contains data like (CharsetEncoder) which usage should not be interleaved by doDecode and encode.
Hmmmm. Don't you use a CharsetEncoder for sent message and CharsetDecoder for received message ?

I don't think it's necessary at all to lock something, as encoding and decoding aren't sharing anything ...

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org