Steve Ivy wrote:
Hm. I think it's not a gap in MyFaces, just in the extensions
(tomahawk?). The extensions provide the forceId functionality but not
for any JSF component, only for the extension components I think.

Actually no, the tomahawk extensions have eqivalents for most of not all
standard jsf components, you will find a t:form for instance as well as
a t:inputText or t:commandLink

the only missing component I found recently was a t:outputformat, but the functionality might be hidden in t:outputtext (I have not looked into it)

The reason for this is, that you cannot extend the functionality of the standard components (I am not sure but I think forceid was the reason for the component duplication) thus all the components are mirrored in Tomahawk.

Anyway, I've decided to forgo the whole thing and build the path to
the elements I need in javascript, and just accept that the extra path
info is always going to be in the element ids.

Yes, it is, but make sure you set the ids of the parent components explicitely, otherwise you might run into troubles with the auto id
generation.