-----Original Message-----
From: Mirek B. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, 13 July 2006 9:11 AM
To: MyFaces Discussion
Subject: Re: [newbie] MyFaces or Barracuda ??
> About J2EE : At XWiki (a Java Wiki at www.xwiki.org) I read in the
> features section : "Scalability and Performance using J2EE".
> I understand "Scalability" with J2EE, but I could not see how J2EE
bring
> "Performance" for a WebApplication like a wiki.... Have you got an
idea
> how J2EE can bring "Performance" to a WebApplication ?
The same way as any compiled language, as opposed to an interpreted one,

like PHP. I think it was meant that way.

There is much more than that too. A J2EE webapp is a running application
and can thus do things to improve performance like memoization, caching
and pooling of services/data, which is awkward to do with a cgi language
(even with continuations).

It can also do things behind the scenes to speed stuff up (while no
requests are happening) in a lightweight fashion that you cant really do
with a scripted language without ugly OS-dependent hacks like cron-jobs
(like say running a log vacuum).

Also I think the greatest benefit you will find to using Java is the
staggering number of libraries available to do just about anything in a
few simple steps (example: JavaMail is much more robust and powerful
than say, php's mail() function).

This correspondence is for the named persons only.
It may contain confidential or privileged information or both.
No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mis transmission.
If you receive this correspondence in error please delete it from your system
immediately and notify the sender.
You must not disclose, copy or relay on any part of this correspondence, if you
are not the intended recipient.
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the individual sender
except where the sender expressly,
and with the authority, states them to be the opinions of the Department of
Emergency Services, Queensland.