Not sure why this bounced as spam.   Maybe it was the zip attachment.
Trying the pieces as individuals.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mike Kienenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Feb 26, 2007 11:56 PM
Subject: Re: t:datatable with commandLink and parameter
To: MyFaces Discussion <users@myfaces.apache.org>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Here's an example showing what you want.

I tried to preserve all of the various things you were trying to
demonstrate while deleting the unnecessary parts :-)

Here's some of the bigger issues:

- You were setting the username rather than the user on the detail page.
- You were using t:saveState on your table page's user object.   Thus,
you'd set the user/username, and then promptly lose it when the table
page overwrote the value back to null.
- You were trying to saveState the value of users (the list of users)
on the table page, but in reality, this was a constant function call,
not a settable value.   I demonstrated one possible way to do this,
but there are many.

Some minor things:
- You don't need to mess with ListDataModel.  Just return a list of your items.
- You were initializing the value of user.   Just leave it null.

Best practices:
- Stick a single form in your template.   Use sandbox:subForm if you
want to have virtual forms on each content page.

I assume you're using prepareForEdit to fetch or create a mutable
version of the user.   If that's not the case, simply change your
button to action="<Constants.EDIT>" instead of action="#{bean.method}"
since you don't need to execute any java code.  Note that I changed
this to user = manager.getUser(user) instead of getUser(username) in
order to keep the example simple.   If you don't plan on editing the
user directly, I'd dump the "user" variable, and save the username of
the selected user instead.

<t:updateActionListener
   property="#{userBackingBean.selectedUsername}"
   value="#{user.userName}">

If possible, consider cleaning up and simplifying this even further
and making it available either on a wiki page or as a myfaces example.