Thanks Christopher, I got the idea, but this is where I am really struggling.
Together with executing the action associated with the node, I have to
change its styleclass to reflect that it was as if the node was clicked. To
achieve that using the normal way, my command link has this:

<a4j:commandLink id="a4jLink" styleClass="#{t.nodeSelected?
'documentSelected':'document'}" action="#{treeBacker.processFolder}"
actionListener="#{t.setNodeSelected}" reRender="a4jGroup"  >

To do that programmatically, I think I have to invoke the setNodeSelected in
the backing bean, the problem now is the setNodeSelected is associated with
an ActionEvent, I dont have an ActionEvent object because there was no
actual action that generates the event , I'm just simulating the "event"
programmatically. Any more hints?...