I put a lot of time into this problem, albeit a while ago, but I could
not find a way to satisfy my requirements for IE6 in standard mode, I
would love to be able to, but I have not found a way.  I'll post the
general structure and the css and perhaps you can help?

The basic structure is this:

    Whatever the particular page requires

The requirement is that the top_bar and the bottom_bar are always
visible and in the same position (at the top and the bottom,
respectively :) ) but not covering the main_content while main_content
can scroll as necessary.

Here's the css that I used to accomplish this, this works properly in
Firefox regardless of the doc-type, but again, in IE6 it only works in
quirks mode.

body {
border: 0pt none;
margin: 0;
padding 0;
height: 100%;
max-height: 100%;
width: 100%;
max-width: 100%;
overflow: hidden;
}

* html body {
padding: 5px 0pt 55px;
}

#main_content {
bottom: 30px;
left: 0px;
overflow: auto;
position: fixed;
right: 0;
top: 25px;
}

* html #main_content {
height: 100%;
position: relative;
width: 100%;
}

#top_bar {
height: 25px;
position: absolute;
left: 0;
top: 0;
width: 100%;
}

#bottom_bar {
height: 25px;
position: absolute;
left: 0;
bottom: 0;
width: 100%;
}

Nate Perkins
480-441-3667
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

may contain GDC4S
 confidential or privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution
 is prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the
sender by reply email and