Mario,

ViewStateDumper is awesome!  I get a large number of "#null?"s in output but
everything else is as expected.  In my situation bottleneck is bandwidth;
especially since ViewState is sent back to server and upload speeds are most
always much slower than download speeds.  Compressed ViewState by adding the
following to web.xml:

  <context-param>
    <param-name>org.apache.myfaces.COMPRESS_STATE_IN_CLIENT</param-name>
    <param-value>true</param-value>
  </context-param>

This cut ViewState down by about 1/5th.

Thanks again to all.  I think I have good temporary solution but will look
more into server side state saving.

Ken

--
303-619-6607