Hi, is anyone currently successfully using h:messages in myfaces 2.1.1?

I've used this tag before in the sun reference implementation, there's not
much to it, just

   <h:messages infoClass="infoMessages" errorClass="errorMessages" />

is all I use. I know I'm setting the message properly because I have my
PROJECT_STAGE is development and so it's rendering my message at the bottom
of the browser page. My h:messages tag however is doing absolutely nothing
at all. It's just being removed.

anyone have this anomaly or is there something special about this tag in
myfaces?
--
Ted.