I have tried using an EAR file and I think it works but have come across
other issues that i'll try to resolve with deploying a singleton in a war
file contained in an EAR.

Even if the ear option does work, i'd still much prefer to be able to deploy
the resource adapter in the war file because that way i can use eclipse wtp
to automatically deploy the war to tomee and quickly develop and debug my
application.  Is it possible to setup eclipse wtp to automatically publish
ear files to tomee?

I have no idea what the specification says about war files and resource
adapters but it would be really nice if i could do this with tomee.