Hi Alexander,

> OpenJPA lets me actually write my code the way I originally intended

That is the idea behind 'transparent' persistence where domain models are
not impacted in no (or minimal) way by the fact that the model instances are
persistent.

@Type annotation will let you model without strong-typing the relations. But
the caveat is query on the relations' path will now be restricted. However,
the programming paradigm of JPA-like technology *should* discourage query on
relations path in favor of navigational traversal from 'root' instances
located by EntityManager.find(). And if that practice is followed, @Type can
be a powerful mechanics for generic model.

> I read your blog entry on persisting a generic graph and am very
> interested
> in using something similar to this for some of my entities.

   Glad that my blog ramblings could point to some ideas for your
application design.

> Before anything else, I'm very sorry about the typo in your name in my
> last post.  :-(

   my name has experienced being morphed in very many ways :)  One that
really broke my heart was 'Pinki' :(