OK - I didn't know that.

I agree that it would be nice if the OpenJPA guys would support this
behaviour. My experience of standards (like JPA) is that the standard itself
is rarely enough for production purposes. Things outside of the standard
need to be in place as well. Then, after a while, the standard will
sometimes adapt to reality and incorporate what has become the de facto
standard.

In this case, it is clear that the behaviour of the life-cycle callback
methods is not defined enough in the standard. The implementations should
therefore create a de facto standard. Let's hope they do...

/Bengt