Todd -

I'm stretching a bit here as I've never actually experimented with this
code.... but I'd start out by looking at
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.jdbc.annotations.NonstandardMappingEntity and
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.jdbc.annotations.TestNonstandardMappingAnnotations.

It appears that you could add a @Strategy annotation to your UUID field and
point it at your handler. That *should* auto-magically wire up the proper
calls to you handler. If/when you get that working, it looks like you should
be able to add this strategy(UUID->customer handler) to the mapping
defaults.

--
*Rick Curtis*