Hi Rick,

I was attempting to do the same thing when I stumbled upon this thread.  Did
you make any head way?  It looks like the second if check seems to be the
culprit (in FetchConfigurationImpl):

private boolean includes(FieldMetaData fmd) {
        if (hasFetchGroupAll()
            || (fmd.isInDefaultFetchGroup()
            && hasFetchGroupDefault())
            || hasField(fmd.getFullName(false)))
            return true;
        String[] fgs = fmd.getCustomFetchGroups();
        for (int i = 0; i < fgs.length; i++)
            if (hasFetchGroup(fgs[i]))
                return true;
        return false;
    }

Creating a custom fetch group from scratch is painful for large objects,
especially when you want to only remove a few fields from the default fetch
group.