i saw a similar example but was hoping the index could be automatically created.  some indexes are automatically created but seeingly not others. i tried the annotations as in the example and the index is never created.  here is what i have added to my class
@Entity
@Table(name = "billentry", indexes = {
        @Index(name = "I_BLLNTRY_SECTION", columnList = "BILLSECTION_ID", unique = false),         @Index(name = "I_BLLNTRY_BILLTEMPLATEENTRY", columnList = "btentryid", unique = false) })
public class BillEntry implements Serializable {

    @Id
    @GeneratedValue(strategy = GenerationType.IDENTITY)
    private Long id;

    @Version
    private Long version;

    @ManyToOne
    private BillSection billSection;

    @ManyToOne
    @Column(name = "btentryid")
    private BillTemplateEntry billTemplateEntry;