I support what Simon proposes to do for the following reasons:

 1. We are talking about posts to users #oo.a.o from non-subscribers, so they
have to be moderated *somehow.*

 2. There has never been, in my recollection, any occasion where one of those
posts that has not been met by a response that is exactly what Simon is
proposing to provide and suggests that all moderators provide as an automatic
courtesy to those requests for support.

 3. This is most likely to be a consistent, civil response.

 4. It will save an administrator or other having to forward replies from folks
who don't know the OP is not subscribed and reply only to the list.

 5. It will save the Op's request being immortalized on the list archive.

Simon could have simply instituted this practice on his own and we'd not be the
wiser.  Instead, he raised the issue as a practice for all moderators, giving
other moderators and list participants an opportunity to weigh in.

I, for one, am willing to accept Simon's treatment of this specific case and
thank him for it.  Other moderators can say what they will or won't do.  I
don't think there is a slavish following of a blind principle of any value in
this instance.

 - Dennis