On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 13:29:40 -0400
Joshua Messing <jsmze...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had a research essay that I had spent a good amount of time on. I opened
> it today and was presented with a odd message called the ASCII filter
> options (which have never happened before) and the document consists of
> nothing but # symbols. Please help me fix this issue.
>
> Thank you,
> Joshua Messing

You file is corrupted.  Look for a backup file in the directory  pointed to be
/Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Paths : Backup and change the bak extension to
odt.  Look also in the temp directory pointed to by /Tools /Options /OpenOffice
: Paths : Temporary files (or similar words).  If there are files with
arbitrary names such as afgdh.jgr, change the extension to .odt and see if they
open with some or all of your data.  Download an Undelete utility Such as
Recuva or PhotoRec and see if it finds any deleted copies of your file or of
relevant temporary files.

If all fails  you may have to revert to a backup - you do have a regular backup
routine?
--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>