> Hi there!  I've been using your spreadsheet and word processor for at
> least 15 years (unless you're not that old...  as long as I can remember,
> anyway).  I'm sorry to say that the usability of both has gone down quite a
> bit in the past few years, and I suspect that it's because you're trying to
> copy Microsoft.  Microsoft sucks so much, there are no polite words for
> them.  Why not try to make things better than Microsoft?  If you just took
> these programs from ten years ago, and spruced them up a bit, that would
> pretty much do the trick.
>
> Some examples:
> Your word processor seems to have been redesigned for a smart phone.
> Smart phones are for people who don't need to do huge amounts of research,
> cutting and pasting, formatting, etc.  You need to get some people to
> design things like word processors and spreadsheets who actually use them
> on a pretty much daily basis, because people who do all their typing on a
> phone can't imagine the things that we used to be able to do.
>
> The default should be that the things that I type stay exactly the way I
> typed them. In the early 2000's, it was annoying that it took one button to
> change this to the default.  Now it's actually impossible.   I' often have
> to actually change what I want to write in the document, because I can't
> stop the damn program from changing it.  I click on all kinds of boxes that
> say they will stop it, but they don't.  If you want to make the default be
> like a smartphone, could I please have one, easy to find button to click
> on, that says "leave my goram typing the way I smegging well typed it."
> Please, I'm begging.  I know A LOT of people agree with me about this, and
> I don't know why nobody's listening.
>
> When I used to right-click on something, the box would open in a location
> appropriate to the box.  Now it opens relative to the cursor.  This means
> that if what I've clicked on isn't at the top of the page, I can't paste,
> because the bottom of the box is below this stupid-ass see-through
> monstrosity of a taskbar at the bottom of the screen (where I've lost
> actual windows before, because I accidentally dragged them to the bottom of
> the screen, and it let me drag it down, but then wouldn't let me click on
> the document once it was under the taskbar).  So have to scroll down, and
> click again.
>
> There are quite a few operations that I used to do with one or two clicks,
> that now take me four or five.  I would really like to have back the
> ability to right-click in the document and get the option for "paste
> special."  I do this approximately a million times a day, and I curse you
> every time.  Not you personally, more programmers in general.
>
> When I click on something, the document keeps jumping around to put that
> line more in the middle of the page.  I put that line right where I wanted
> it, so I can see all the lines I'm working on, and I don't want it to move.

> [...]
Much of what you described seems to be related to your operating system
rather than Apache OpenOffice. You are free to install another operating
system if you don't like the one you have. I also complained at lot about
that a long time ago, but finally I did something about it and installed
another operating system. Never looked back since then. Unfortunately the
one I installed also got worse over the years, so now I am planning to
install yet another one, I'm not quite sure which yet though. I think Arch
would be fine for me, at least I would give it a try.

I tried some of the things that you described, but I don't really get it.
For instance, when I right click on a spreadsheet, paste special is there,
you said it was not.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ