Hi Peter,

Peter Brooks schrieb:
I'm wanting to embed a .svg file in a bigger .svg file - not as a .png
or .jpeg, but as a proper .svg file.  Inkscape seems to have problems
doing this - it converts the .svg into a .jpeg.

In which way do you try to do it? I mean, what is the expected result in the svg-source?

OpenOffice can not edit svg-source, but only render the picture. If you want to edit the svg-source you need another tool. I do this with "XML Notepad", which has a node-content view, or with an editor which has syntax highlighting like "Notepad++" or "PSPad".

It looks as if Draw should be able to do this, but, when I open a .svg
file, the rendering is all over the place.

Now you write "open a .svg". Do you mean File > Open or still Insert > Picture?

Can you make a small (really tiny!) example, where the "rendering is all over the place". And if possible tell the application which you use to generate the .svg file, to only use common SVG elements. Especially Inkscape writes a lot of elements in its private namespace, which makes it tedious to look for errors.

 The objects themselves seem
OK, but the text is the wrong size and font and in the wrong place.

How is the text used inside the svg-file? Some application have options to export text as glyphs or as paths.

Is this a known problem?

No, OpenOffice can render nested svg-elements without problems. To look for problems with text, I need a sample document.

The other problem is that it seems to discard all the '<title>'
elements.

 I've imported a file,

What do you do exactly when "import"? Which menu item do you use? Or drag&drop? or Copy&Paste? From where? Who generated the file?

 copied and pasted it, then saved it,

What do you save? The document? Or the picture? If you save the picture, how do you do it? Context menu or menu File > Export?

and all the '<title>' elements have disappeared. Is there a way to
stop this?

Which version of OpenOffice do you use? I have a AOO 4.1.1 and the saved picture is the same as the inserted picture. And therefore all <title>-elements exist as before.

Kind regards
Regina