Hi James,

James Ramsay schrieb:
Hello - I don't know if I'm asking in the right place, very minor question:

Is there a keyboard shortcut to increase/reduce the font size of a selected
passage of text?

Yes.

 (In the old Word it's Ctrl = [ or ]). It's extremely
useful, but I can't find a similar shortcut on Open Office Writer.

It is not possible to us [ or ] in general, because there exists keyboard layouts, where these are not directly available.

Please open the properties pane in the side bar. There are icons for increase/decrease font. The tooltip of that icon mentions the short cut. For me (German keyboard layout) it is Ctrl+Shift+> for "increase" and Ctrl+< for "decrease".

Similarly, I can't find how to toggle between all lower case/all upper
case/first letters in upper case (in Word, Caps + F3)

It is in menu Format > Change case or in context menu item Case/Characters.

There is no special key to circle through the options, but you can assign a shortcut key to each of it. Find the customize tool in menu Format > Customize.

If you can help, I'd stop using Word.

The great advantage of Writer compared to Word is its easy use of styles. If you will learn how to use them, then you will not miss Word. The fact that some things are at different places is a minor problem. Such will happen even inside a product, remember the changes from Word 2003 to Word 2007.

Kind regards
Regina