Running aoo 4.1.1 on fbsd

If I create a chart in calc, as long as I do not exit calc I can edit the
chart.  In addition, if the values on which the chart is based change, the
chart changes.

However, if I save the spreadsheet and exit calc, then run calc again and
open the spreadsheet, things are screwed up.  When first reopened, the
chart looks fine.  However, modifying data values no longer cause the chart
to change, and when I double click on the chart to edit it all of the data
in the chart disappears, as well as the axis labels which are based on the
data.  This is an unrecoverable error -- there's no way to undo the double
click to get the data display in the chart back.

Is this a known behavior?
Is there something one can do to preserve the dynamic aspects of a chart?

Thanks,

Gary