Let me be get something clear first.

You are talking about a document that was protected against writing, but not
protected against reading, is that correct?

Or do you mean fully protected, so that they can't be used by anyone without
presenting the password?

If these were created in Word, what version of Word was used?  (2016, 2013,
2010, 2007, earlier?)

What format is the document saved in (.doc, .docx, .odt)?

Apache OpenOffice is not able to handle all of the different formats with which
passwords are set on Word documents.  It will matter which version was used,
the format, and how much is protected.

 - Dennis

PS: Do not reply directly to me. If you do, I will take it to post your message
to the users list as I see fit and so other volunteer users can also explore
the problem with you.