Maurice Howe wrote:
I (and others) have yelled for years about this.  The "unsubscribe" things
is taking WAY too much time and resource.

I'm not one of them, but moderators often take action and contact the person directly in these cases, and can force the unsubscribe. So the best way to reduce traffic and waste of time is actually to be confident that the moderators will address these issues at their earliest convenience. I can't check now, but if I recall correctly this was the advice given by moderators of this or some other OpenOffice list.

Regards,
  Andrea.