I have Slackware Linux, not freebsd, but on my system the icons are cached and there is a program called /usr/bin/gtk-update-icon-cache, which is supposed to update the cache when new icons are stored in /usr/(local/)share/icons/hicolor. I have a manpage on it, so you could try it to see if you have it. When I install AOO, my installation script does this caching and I have no problems with the icons in xfce4. It is also possible that xfce4 is expecting the icons to be in /usr/share/icons rather than /usr/local/share/icons. I have had such problems with other programs in the past.

Note: xfce4 expects the desktop files (*.desktop) to be +x, otherwise I get a popup about the file being untrusted. It allows you to bypass the popup, but it is annoying. I set the desktop files in /opt/openoffice4/share/xdg/ to +x to resolve this. Misusing the executable flags for trustworthyness is an xfce4 kluge, but that is the way it is.

hth:

Girvin Herr