Hi Tony. Originally it was for ideological reasons (so as not to appear to
endorse Microsoft's format), but I think that is now long passed as a
justification. LibreOffice has implemented this capability and I understand
it was (and remains) a lot of work, so I'd guess that today the main
obstacle is lack of developers capable of major features. If you or anyone
you know are able to implement this I'm sure the developers would welcome
you with open arms.

S.

--
*Simon Phipps*  http://webmink.com

*Office:* +1 (415) 683-7660 *or* +44 (238) 098 7027
*Signal/Mobile*:  +44 774 776 2816