Kevin,
Rory is usually right about things like this, but there’s one trick you might
try. Find that ODT file in Windows Explorer (or the Finder if on a Mac). Change
the file extension from .odt to .zip, and unzip the file. Open the one named
“content”. It will have all the text in it, but none of the formatting. Copy
and paste this to a new document and save it under a filename that’s different
from your original file’s name. Reformat it at your leisure.

Jim Plante