On 4/19/2017 3:48 PM, Martin Rosenfeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does Apache Open Office have a function to allow insertion into text of
> a special character, even from another font? For example, what if I want
> an em dash or a euro symbol, characters for which there is no keyboard
> method of selecting?
>
> I am using AOO in OS/2, but the question should still be valid.
>
> Martin Rosenfeld
Martin;

Writer has the Menu Item Insert/Special Character. This will bring up a
dialog with drop-down lists to allow you to select the font and the
subset area of that font to display. For example to insert the euro sign
you would select the font you want, then in the subset drop-down you
would select currency symbols. In the display box select the euro symbol
then click OK and the euro symbol will be inserted at the current cursor
position in your document.

For an em dash Writer should automatically change two consecutive dashes
with an em dash.

Regards
Keith