On Thu, 18 May 2017 12:01:46 -0700
"Dave C" <davec2...@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:

> Hello,
> I’m trying to get an indented paragraph format to work.
>
> For example:
>
> ![](cid:78D2D902-77FA-4E69-956A-49B7623780C9@yahoo.com "Screen Shot
> 2017-05-18 at 11.52.19 AM.png")
>
> I’ve tried using both the ruler and paragraph format dialog and
> can’t get this to work. No matter how I adjust the margins the left
> margin is even: the entire paragraph indents as a block of text. I
> cannot get the first line’s left margin to be different from the left
> margin of the rest of the lines in the paragraph.
>
> Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Any pointers to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>
> OpenOffice 4.1.3
> MacOS 10.12.4

You are using direct formatting, which in OpenOffice is not the best way.
Better to learn how to use Styles.  For what you need to do change the
formatting of the Paragraph Style you wish to modify; on the Indents and
Spacing tab set the indent "Before text" (which is for the entire paragraph)
and the "First line" indent (which is for the first line only) you require.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>