Hello Michele,

The base component is created to talk to database through odbc or Jdbc
interfaces. Apache OpenOffice ships an embedded database which base talks
directly to.

You are welcome to help improve Apache OpenOffice. However development is
talked on d...@openoffice.apache.org. please write an email there, best
subscribe to dev. And we can talk try to get you in the development process.

All the best
Peter