> > > The installation should offer you the possibility of porting your
> > customization to the new version.
> > Just in case you may want to backup your current user settings.
>
> At the moment I cannot get to the OOo home page. When I go to
> http://www.openoffice.org I get directly to a download page instead of
> the home page of OOo. And the download page lists a Linux version, but
> does not say if it is the 64-bit or 32-bit version. I think I should
> wait until things settle down.

I found the 64-bit version here:
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ny1.mirror.openoffice.org/stable/3.0.0/OOo_3.0.0_LinuxX86-64_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz
(server in the UK).
A list of mirrors is available selecting the download tab on the
openoffice.org page, however I think the server is currently down.

> > In GNU/Linux the settings are (by default) in your home directory under
> > .openoffice.org2/user.
> >
> > In OOo version 3 the settings are stored in /openoffice.org/3/user/.
>
> I am aware of the fact that for my currrent 2.4.1 on Hardy x86_64 the
> configurations are in /.openoffice.org2. If version 3.0 will create a
> new folder for configurations I'll have to start all over again.
> Believe me, that is hours and hours of work. That is, unless OOo 3 does
> indeed offer me the option to port my configuration from 2.4.1.
> Actually, an even better option for me would be to install 3.0, porting
> configurations from 2.4.1 but leave 2.4.1 untouched.

You will be definitely be given the option to port your settings and (at
least in my experience, installing OOo3.0 does not delete the
.openoffice.org2 directory (I still have it on my system).

The worst case scenario is that you will have to copy the user/ directory in
the OOo3 folder. I guess that most of the configurations are still applied.

> Actually, looking at the new features, I see nothing that is really
> useful for me. If 3.0/Linux could recognize OpenType fonts I would be
> motivated to install it, but as OOo has done for the past eight years,
> this has been ignored once more.

Agree that OpenType fonts would be nice, particularly considering that many
other applications support them happily.
I think it is still worthwhile to install OOo3.0 for the new notes, cross
referencing enhancements, ODF 1.2 and so on.

Cheers,

Michele