Hi John,

> I'm using ooo3 on opensuse 11.0
>
> The Thesaurus item in Tools-Language menu is greyed out, so cannot be used.
>
> I've checked in
> Tools-Options-Language_Settings-Writing_aids-Openoffice_Thesaurus - edit, and
> there is no thesaurus listed when the language is set to British or Canadian
> English, only when set to American English, which then also changes the
> spellchecker, which I do not want to do.
>
> I've checked in the extensions repository, but there is no British English
> thesaurus listed there either.
>
> Is it not possible to use a thesaurus for British English?

Please check with "Toools/Extension Manager" if there is an extension
named "English spelling and hyphenation dictionaries and thesaurus"
installed.
If not it is a problem of your distribution since it does not make use
of extensions.

The OOo installation distributed via www.openoffice.org has a thesaurus
for English-GB in the pre-installed extension for English.
However, as it already was the case in previous OpenOffice versions the
one to be actually used was the Enhlish-US thesaurus. English-GB and
English-ZA thesaurus were (and currently still are) just redirections to
the English-US thesaurus.

If you have a look at http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries
you can see that the very same thesaurus is intended to be used with
English-US AND English-GB. Thus the redirection should be no problem in
itself.
I think that your distribution is sharing the old-style plain data files
with other apps but is lacking the redirection from English-GB and
English-ZA to the English-US thesaurus (and the very same problem will
probably happen for other dictionaries as well!). Therefore you should
contact your distributor.
A possible solution should be to create respective named soft links to
achieve the missing redirections.

Regards,
Thomas