At 15:57 21/11/2008 +0000, Mike Scott wrote:
K. Andrys wrote:
I wonder if it is possible. I have to print a list of texts combined into one text file. Pages must be read in order to avoid misinterpretation. Typically one will create header or footer. But I look for page number printed in rather big font ( 20 - 40 points) and header is waste of space. One of the solutions is to create frames (+-15% of page width ) and have text printed next to the frame as well. But it means manually copying frames to page after page as file grows and deleting if shrinks. Any ideas how to create object that automatically comes on each page but do not take whole width of the page? I still use 2.4.

Perhaps create a very small header (use Format|Page to reduce size and spacing to 0), and insert a frame into this. Put the page number into the frame. Put the frame where you wish on the page, and set wrap as needed.

There's no "perhaps" about it: this is the ideal solution. But may I add some more detail, in case the questioner needs it?

The point of this method is that, provided that the frame is anchored in the header or footer, the frame itself can be placed anywhere on the page, with any page number field in the frame still incrementing automatically just as it would if it were physically in the header or footer.

o  Create a header or footer in the relevant page style.
o Put the cursor into the header or footer and use Insert | Frame... to create a frame. On the type tab, ensure that Anchor is either "To paragraph" or "To character". o Go to Format | Page... (or right-click | Page...). On the Header or Footer tab, you can effectively hide the header or footer by removing the tick from "AutoFit height" and setting Height to the minimum (which appears to be 0.1 cm) and Spacing to zero. Alternatively, and perhaps more easily, you could just reduce the top or bottom page margin (as appropriate) so as to move the (empty) header or footer into what was the margin and expand the text area back to its original size. o Now that you have your page text area back (almost?) to what it was, you can insert Page Number into the frame, adjust the format of the page number, and position and resize the frame where you need it. (Note that the frame anchor remains in the header or footer.)

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker