[snip]

> I would like to embed a music file that plays while the presentation
> progresses... the mp3 has  a song and the next few slides have the words
> to the song which the kids then sing.
>
> I tried to do this but for some reason I got an error message saying
> that the particular format, mp3, could not be attached to the
> presentation in the linux version. Is there any way around this? I've
> got the various codecs etc installed and can play mp3s, so it seems to
> be a decision by OOo developers to restrict the formats depending on the
> OS. That sort of undermines the cross-platform credentials just a tad.

Hello,

Indeed it is a bit tricky to have an mp3 song to play in Impress under Linux
and you will need to spend some time configuring your system.

All the information on how to install JMF can be found on this page of the
Wiki [1]:
Once you have done that you need an additional step to enable MP3s (also
explained in [1]).

When the machine has been configured, you are a step closer to do what you
want, but not quite there yet.
In order to have a song play across multiple slides you will have to
instruct Impress to use the song as a transition sound. Somewhat detailed
instructions can be found here [2].
Note that [2] is currently being reviewed so you may want to check in a
month or so to see if it has been updated. In general, in case you find the
user guide not easy to follow (or even wrong!), please let me know as I am
one of the contributors to writing that chapter and user feedback is very
welcome.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Michele