Mathias Bauer wrote:
AG wrote:

I suppose another issue is the length of time it takes to autosave: with 3Gb of RAM and a further 3Gb allocated to my swap partition, one would think that there'd be plenty of memory for OOo to use in the save process. Perhaps there is a way of manually allocating further memory to OOo specifically so it can do that administrative function more in the background? Again, it is a PITA when busy typing away and everything has to stop for the OOo to save. Is that why MS Word tends to create all of these background files (*.tmp) so that it can more effectively do a background save?

As part of our performance improvement work we have implemented a
prototype that saves Writer documents in the background. The document
being saved is copied in memory and then a background thread is started
to save this copy. In the meantime, the user can continue his work, even
on the document now being saved (as in fact a copy of it is saved, so
changes on the "original" don't interact with this process).

It works quite well, at least if you don't do anything special in the
foreground. But ironing out the last bugs will take quite some time, so
it won't get into 3.2, but it's in the works. It should be clear that a
function like this should be implemented as stable as possible.

Regards,
Mathias

Mathias

Thank you for your reply. It is encouraging to hear that developers take users' feedback so seriously.

Overall, I think that OOo is a great product, so little tweaks and adjustments such as the ones raised here are welcomed improvements to some damn fine work!! :)

Best AG