On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Gene Young wrote:

Richard Detwiler wrote:

I'm a bit confused by the statement about how information on users shouldn't be stored in a spreadsheet, because it is so easy to corrupt the data.

Does this suggest that the only information that should be put in a spreadsheet is data where it doesn't matter if it gets corrupted?

If so, that would significantly reduce the usefulness of spreadsheets.

I assume there is some key point that I'm missing, so please enlighten .... thanks.

Basically a database is for storing and retrieving information. A spreadsheet is primarily for performing calculations on data. In common usage, people have come to use spreadsheets to store information because the learning curve is much shallower than learning to work with a database.

The answer you stated addresses why people tend to use spreadsheets to store data. What I would like to know is why you think information in a spreadsheet can be corrupted more easily than that in a data base. As the previous said: "I assume there is some key point that I'm missing, so please enlighten ...."

--
Bob Holtzman
AF9D 8760 0CFA F95A 6C77  E125 BF90 580F 8D54 9279