Manfred J. Krause wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 14:36, Gene Young wrote:
AG wrote:
Hello

I've never done this myself in MS Word, but have seen it done, so
apologies for my ignorance, but:

how does one set up a table of contents that automatically updates if the
pagination changes (e.g. extra pages added to/deleted from a section)?  I've
got a document 134 pages long, with numerous subheadings which I would like
to keep straight. [...]

In Help, under the find tab, search for "contents", (without the quotes).
 The third choice down is "Creating a Table of Contents". Select that and
the directions are there.

... see also  ?

Chapter 12 of the OpenOffice.org 3 Writer Guide
Tables of Contents, Indexes and Bibliographies
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Writer_Guide/Toc_Indexes_Biblios>

Manfred