On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Twayne <t...@twaynesdomain.com> wrote:

> "Gene Heskett" <gene.hesk...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > 's funny.   Your sig is an advert for Norton...
> >
> > Q: I wonder why Norton doesn't make a security product for linux?
> > A: Because linux generally doesn't need it.  Its many times more
> > secure than winderz will ever be.
>
> 's funny. Your data is very misleading.  Linux:
> --  Has a steep learning curve
> --  Uses non-intuitive program names as a rule
> --  To this day still lacks drivers for some of my hardware, preventing
> it from being a major player
> --  has more undiscovered security risks than Windows by a long shot
> with the actual quantity varying as each of many authors add their own
> improvements and additional features.
> --  Carries many of the SAME security risks in the "user" category of
> bad use
> --  is much more difficult to add/remove a program from than Windows
> --  Complete newbies find themselves understanding the nuances of
> controls and management much faster and easier in windows than in Linux
> --  is not user friendly
>
> That said, I will still switch if/when they develop/make available the
> drivers I need.  A reasonably experienced PC person can switch to Linux,
> or one of its many flavors, successfully with some effort.  But this
> user can not switch without drivers that I need. But I keep looking.
> Someday I will no longer be captive of MS and its single-sourced
> attitude.

> About 18 months ago, I was nothing but a long-time Windows user with a
sizable investment in supporting software.  A friend suggested I save my
money an use Ubuntu.  I got my feet wet with a Wubi install so all my
previous Windows stuff stayed in tact.  About a month later, I blew out
windows on four machines and installed Ubuntu.  I found it extraordinarily
easy to make the transition.  I was just up and running with Ubuntu right
away.  My printers were'nt very old, so the printer drivers worked "out of
the box".  I've since been back to having fun with computers as I steer
deeper into what Ubuntu can do.  I was amazed at the depth of help material
on-line and the extent to which users in the forums will go to help you fix
a problem.  I'm by no means a Windows power user; so I wasn't that much more
proficient than most I guess.  Linux just worked for me, and it does for a
lot of other people too.  If you can tell us which drivers you need, perhaps
someone can point you towards what you need.  I'm entering the world of
netbooks with a Starling from System76; it comes with Ubuntu installed (as
do all their computers).  All reports are no driver issues of any kind so it
sounds like a lot of your problems may have already been addressed.

There's been an issue in the past with wireless networking, but it seems
that's been mostly taken care of on the Ubuntu side.  There are, admittedly,
some problems on the Windows side turning the card on and off when exiting
the OS, but that's hardly the fault of Ubuntu, and there was recently a work
around posted for that.

Sounds like it's been awhile since you  looked ... a lot has happened in the
18 months since I first started.  Why not give it a go again? Let us know
what you need to make it work for you.  You'll be pleased with the response,
I'm sure.

mcm

Mark C. Miller
mr.mcmil...@gmail.com [home]