Joe Smith wrote:
On 10/20/2009 08:15 AM, Michele Zarri wrote:
[snip]
At present I am looking at the capability of allocating
to a paragraph style its own outline level.
Is there anybody who has used this functionality and can share with me
why it was needed?

I suppose it could be useful in a number of situations, but the one situation I'm aware of where it is required is for unnumbered headings that should appear in the ToC.

E.g., a book might use numbered chapters (top-level, "Heading 1" paragraphs), but the front sections (Preface, Forward, ToC, etc.) are unnumbered.
[snip]

Hello Joe,

Yes, the example is valid and it is definitely cleaner than moving the cursor to the beginning of the headings you do not want to number and hit the delete key :-)

Having thought about it a bit, I guess I will illustrate the use of the feature with two examples: yours and the case where the user wants to adopt different numbering systems e.g. numerals for the main body and letters for the annexes.

Thanks for your help.

Michele