In a message dated 2010.07.21 12:00 -0500, Paula Johnson wrote:

I'm still figuring my way around OO, but I'll try.  The biggest
concern I have [with Calc] is, when I format the cells in a column,
the format doesn't hold or it formats other (unwanted) columns.  ...

Paula, I don't /know/ if what follows is relevant to your formatting issues, but as I recognize the issue [which I had with OO initially], maybe this will help:

You may be used to spreadsheet program(s) which have true column (or row) formatting [like PlanPerfect or Quattro], and might therefore misinterpret Calc's column formatting as applying formatting to a specific *column*. It does not; instead it formats all cells currently in that column (and can change even that formatting when cells in that column get content from a differently-formatted source). Put another way, a Calc column has no formatting except for the formatting of the cells in that column. That may seem like a subtle distinction, but it may help to consider why there are no cell formatting choices to the column default format - because there /is no/ column default format. [FWIW, that is the same behavior as the current spreadsheet market leader, MS Excel, so it's not unreasonable for OO/Calc to adopt it.] It's an aspect of OO that took a little adjusting - and you may be finding yourself behind a similar paradigm shift.

John