Peter,

In a message dated 2010.08.23 15:06 -0500, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
On 23/08/2010 17:24, John Kaufmann wrote:
[cut]

Is this attachment relevant to this thread? I created it a few
years ago as a simple tutorial for water marking.

Well, yes, of course it's relevant. See the title: this thread is
about how to do watermarks, and that attachment was an example of a
watermark in OO/odt. In fact, the OP specifically mentioned the
common case of the subtext "Draft", which was illustrated in the
attachment.

So... having established that the attachment was/is indeed relevant
to the thread, would you please say how it was created?

I'm at a loss with the question. I wrote the text of the document to be
self-evident and from your response this is not the case. Could you
explain where the difficulty lies so that I might clarify things?

I'm sorry for my stupidity. When you wrote "this attachment", it was in response to the post in which I asked about NoOp's attachment OOoDraftDoc.odt [which, with its "Lorem ipsum..." text, is not exactly "self-evident" :-) ]. With my usual perspicacity, I failed to notice that you had supplied your own attachment, WatermarkTest{1}.odt, and so thought you were referring to /his/ attachment... hence what must have seemed the bizarre illogic of my reply to you.

That said: NoOp's example was based on Frame styles - in particular, the "Watermark" frame (though, as noted earlier in the thread, I could not see that in the example) - while your example reverts to suggestions to use Page styles. Now, though last night [writing without thinking clearly] I responded enthusiastically to the Frames idea, a minute's further reflection suggests that a watermark is, after all, inherently a page attribute, so it logically belongs to a Page style, as Brian described in detail earlier. Writer's lack of explicit provision for a "watermark" page element means we revert to the work-around of putting a graphic text in the page background. As you say in WatermarkTest{1}.odt, that combination of fixed graphic with page-dependency presents this complication:

         Of course, as the watermark, being a graphic instead of the text we
         are used to with other word processing packages, is related to page
         orientation at least two versions are required, one for Portrait and
         one for Landscape. This dependency also relates to page size ...

This presents two sets of questions, the first with regard to your watermark Page style: - Should that page style use "Default" - or should it perhaps be a named "Draft" page style, perhaps linked to Default? - Should there be a series of such "Draft:<page>" styles for the page style sizes and orientations one is likely to use as "Draft"? - How is this handled most efficiently in a document with multiple Page styles? - even, say, just Portrait and Landscape of some particular size?

The second set of questions may boil down to one: Does NoOp's choice of the "Watermark" Frame style, with its "Entire page" frame position, obviate that first set of questions completely?

John